SteamLoader has been a reasonable success. I’ve also identified lots of little issues that I didn’t expect to crop up.
Some bugs related to people not sending enough money, sending too much money, sending it too late, etc.
I also had a few bugs related to peoples orders confirming at the same time, causing a race condition and the site delivering one code to both users at the same time
All those bugs have been fixed other than one, which is when inventory gets down to 1 code left, it will let two people submit pending orders even though it obviously can’t fulfill both of them.
I got a great piece of advice from someone about how to secure the codes more thoroughly, even against a database breech. It was suggested that I simply store the SHA or MD5 has of the codes and then have a server that checks in every few minutes to see which orders need processing and does the order fulfillment itself.
Since that fulfillment server doesn’t have to have an outward interface, it can be nice and cozy behind a firewall and has a much smaller chance of ever being attacked.
I’m going to rebuild the architecture next month to split up the responsibilies in that fashion, after I get HumbleUsenet and UpWat.ch off the ground.
HumbleUsenet is simply a white-label reseller of Usenet services, but it accepts bitcoins and will bundle together 3 or 4 different providers.
Upwat.ch will be a new server monitoring system and sexy status dashboard that uses the new Nagios agent for communications